LCC Road Safety Initiative
Eight routes where 13 people have lost their lives in collisions in almost six years (01/01/2011 to 01/10/2016) are being targeted in a bid to cut down on the number of casualties. The routes across Lancashire have seen a total of 406 casualties with 62 people suffering serious or life changing injuries since 2011. Now the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership has given the go ahead for new average speed enforcement camera systems on the routes, with the hope of reducing the death toll and making the roads safer for all to use. The routes are (cameras will cover traffic flow in both directions):
- A565 Southport Road (1.2m) between B5246 at Mere Brow and the Gravel Lane roundabout at Banks.
- A583 Preston New Road (7.5m) between M55 Junction 3 (Peel Road, Peel Hill), through Kirkham bypass, and Blackpool Road at Preston Old Road, Clifton.
- A588 Head Dyke Lane, Pilling (2m) between Fold House Caravan Park and Bourbles Lane.
- A59 Brockholes Brow, Preston (0.5m) between M6 junction 31 and Glenluce Drive.
- A6 London Road, Preston (0.7m) between Capitol Centre (Winery Lane) and Albyn Street East.
- A675 in Belmont (8.5m) between M65 junction 3, through Abbey Village and Belmont to Scout Road.
- A682 Gisburn Road, Pendle (5.2m) between A59 at Gisburn and Whittycroft Avenue (between Barrowford and Blacko).
- B6232 Grane Road, Haslingden (4.7m) between A56 through Haslingden Grane to A6177 Elton Road junction with Sough Lane.
- There is a history of collisions and casualties within the routes.
- Speed surveys indicate that speeding vehicles is an issue.
- Some of the routes have been identified as needing action around speed and road safety issues, but there aren’t any other realistic or appropriate enforcement options.